What is an objective statement, and do you need one? Some people might say that you don’t need one, or that it is outdated. Well, if you want to stand out from the pack and be able to tell the employer compelling information about you that it won’t find anywhere else, then use an objective statement.
Done correctly, this statement will highlight what you bring that the employer needs (directly from its job posting), and will give it a flavor for the soft skills it won’t be able to find elsewhere on your resume or in your application. A tailored objective statement also shows the employer that you are not just seeking any job, you want a job specifically with that particular employer and you are the right fit.
Below is a selection of objectives statements for nursing with a range of experience to guide you in writing a strong objective statement:
Experienced Nursing Objective Statements
- Seeking a position as an ER Nurse at County General Hospital, bringing over five years of emergency medical experience, incredible stamina, empathetic compassion, and a deep understanding of emergency response gained through previous roles at State Hospital ER and internships.
- Analytical and patient-focused team player seeking clinical nursing position, bringing experience in dermatological clinical nursing processes and protocol to provide evidence-based care for the best interests of the populations served, and to support the development of newly trained nurses through management and mentorship.
- Compassionate Registered Nurse of the highest integrity applying for a position at Grove Care, looking to utilize three years’ experience in geriatric health, elder care, and hospice to bring comfort and dignity to seniors.
- To serve as a mentor and a manager in the position of Head Nurse at West General, experienced in providing quality health care in hospital settings, leading nursing teams, and working across different hospital departments including emergency and oncology.
- Highly qualified and experienced Registered Nurse seeking a part-time faculty position at University Medical School, bringing outstanding communication skills, practical knowledge and insights, and an enthusiasm for educating the next generation of nurses.
- Dedicated Registered Nurse with a certification in adolescent mental health looking to secure a role in a private healthcare facility, bringing over four years’ experience in supporting clinical psychiatric teams and caring for the mental and physical health of patients.
- Experienced pediatric nursing professional seeking a position as a pediatric oncology nurse to apply current knowledge of pediatric care, experience communicating empathetically with patients’ families, and dedication to the highest standards of professionalism.
- To obtain a Registered Nurse role and provide quality healthcare to patients, drawing on excellent communication skills, solid stamina, management acumen gained through previous supervisory experience, clinical training and practical experience.
- To obtain a position as a Registered Nurse at Main Street GP, seeking to combine two years’ experience in general medicine with excellent communication skills in a friendly, patient-oriented manner.
- Compassionate nurse dedicated to quality healthcare for all, seeking a position in a free clinic, experienced in delivering quality care in under-resourced and high-stress medical settings.
- Looking to obtain the position of Registered Nurse with ABC Hospital, coming with utmost dedication to patient integrity and care, aiming to apply practical knowledge gained through 10 years’ experience of nursing in hospital settings across multiple departments including oncology, pediatrics, and obstetrics.
- Patient-centered Registered Nurse committed to providing high-quality health care, seeking new role at XYZ Hospital, looking to apply over seven years of clinical experience to lead a nursing team in a hospital setting.
- Caring and enthusiastic Registered Nurse with over six years of experience seeking opportunity to join a general practice, bringing extensive knowledge of family healthcare from both clinical training and ongoing professional development.
- Highly educated and experienced Registered Nurse seeking the opportunity to join Medical Cover as a Nurse Consultant, aiming to apply clinical and practical understanding of health care to support a national leading insurance company.
- To obtain the position of Practice Nurse at Women’s Medical Practice, seeking to utilize three years’ experience in OB/GYN practices, extensive understanding of female health, and outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Caring and committed Registered Nurse with 25 years’ experience working with pediatric cancer patients and their families, coming with excellent references and a demonstrated track record of professional performance and mentoring to entry-level colleagues.
Entry-Level Nursing Objective Statements
- Technologically savvy and physically fit Registered Nurse, applying for the Registered Clinical Nurse position at Johnston Inc. to provide compassionate care to adults who experience disabilities in group homes, coming with a sincere desire to work with people with disabilities and desire to bring joy into their lives each and every day.
- Devoted and patient-focused recently licensed Registered Nurse, looking for emergency room position, leveraging ability to multitask, ability to learn quickly, endless energy, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Recent nursing graduate enthusiastic to gain experience while contributing to an established medical practice, bringing demonstrated expertise in clinical protocols and healthcare obtained during internships and academic training.
- Energetic and professional pediatric nurse seeking to join Medical Associates, committed and passionate about providing high-quality healthcare to all patients and communicating children’s health needs to their families.
- Proactive newly qualified nurse looking to obtain a position in a general medical practice, coming with an excellent academic record and an eagerness to learn new skills.
- Seeking to join the team at Recover Healthcare as a Registered Nurse to make a difference in people’s lives, bringing dedication, stamina, and attention-to-detail to the delivery of the highest standard of patient care.
- Enthusiastic and empathetic nursing graduate looking for position with John Smith Hospital to become part of a patient-centered collaborative work environment, bringing a commitment to patient safety and life-long learning.
- Recent nursing graduate with experience in high-stress setting gained through an internship in Central Hospital ER, seeking to join a challenging and fast-paced emergency response team.
- Recently licensed Registered Nurse applying for position in Labor & Delivery at XYZ Hospital, bringing ability to think and react quickly, endless stamina, sunny disposition, and excitement for a career in nursing.
- Self-motivated and committed nursing graduate applying for a Registered Nurse position at ABC Medical Center, coming with deep comfort of computers and web-based applications, demonstrated responsibility and excellent work ethic.
- Hardworking and dedicated nursing graduate looking to join Tri-State Medical Center as an Acute Care Nurse to demonstrate commitment to compassionate care for patient population.
- To obtain a position as a School Nurse in the ABC Public School System, bringing passion for collaborating with other school and health care staff to maintain a healthy environment and promote the wellness of students.
- Empathetic and effective communicator looking for a registered nursing position to deliver home health care services to provide exceptional care, allowing individuals to remain at home and live as independently as possible. Seeking an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
- To obtain a Staff Nurse position at Taylor College, bringing dedication to customer service, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and advanced computer skills to the provision of high-quality healthcare services to the student population.
- Detail-oriented and organized Registered Nurse with effective verbal communication skills and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately in crisis, seeking nursing position to provide treatment to adults with problems involving substance use and mental health needs.
- High-energy and devoted Registered Nurse seeking position as an Occupational Health & Wellness Registered Nurse at Access Services Corporation, bringing superior verbal and written communication skills, compassion and integrity to caring for patients with work-related injuries and illnesses.
Career Change Nursing Objective Statements
- Dedicated mental health professional with over three years’ experience in a psychiatric health-care facility and recently licensed as a Registered Nurse, seeking to transition career into nursing and provide health assessments for patients who may benefit from inpatient psychiatric care.
- Enthusiastic and recently licensed Registered Nurse seeking to leverage two years of experience in an OB/GYN’s office to a career in nursing focusing on women’s health, bringing superior computer skills, deep understanding of a doctor’s OB/GYN practice in a private setting, and unbeatable stamina.
When you draft your objective statement, have the job listing in front of you. Pull the key skills from the job listing that you have, and work them into your objective statement. Emphasize that you can give the employer what it needs, both from a technical and from a personality perspective. Use the space to paint a picture of who you are to humanize yourself to the reader. Use the above objective statements as a guide for length. Be succinct but hit your key points. Finally, make sure there are no errors in your objective statement. Good luck!
Keith Miller has over 25 years experience as a CEO and serial entrepreneur. As an entreprenuer, he has founded several multi-million dollar companies. As a writer, Keith's work has been mentioned in CIO Magazine, Workable, BizTech, and The Charlotte Observer. If you have any questions about the content of this blog post, then please send our content editing team a message here.