Proper grooming and professional appearance are important to gain not just positive impression but also respect in the workplace. First impressions matter and the way you look and carry yourself create impact on people you get along with in the work setting. Proper grooming and professional appearance is important to both men and women. Lack of these may lead to poor image and may interfere with your chance of getting good impression and positive feedbacks from your workmates and superiors.
Professional Standards in the Workplace
In today’s competitive and modern business world, it is highly essential to adhere with professional appearance and grooming for the workplace. If you have the desire to look your best at all times in social and professional settings, you need to keep in mind the following basic guidelines for good grooming in the workplace:
1. Wear business suits in basic colors.
2. Always be neat and clean including your teeth, fingernails, face, hair and even your shoes.
3. Keep your pockets empty and as much as possible avoid tinkling coins or keys and bulges.
4. Avoid eating candies, smoking cigarettes and chewing gum when you are inside the office.
5. Use portfolio case or light briefcase when carrying important documents with you instead of compiling these documents in folders and carrying these between your armpits.
6. As much as possible get rid of tattoos and body piercings for these will just make you look untidy and unprofessional.
7. Wear light perfume and cologne and minimize using lots of jewelries.
It is also highly important to maintain professional appearance and image at all times. Proper grooming and professional appearance can certainly make you stand out and be ahead of the competition. You can achieve these by following these helpful tips:
Make Sure To Wear Clean And Presentable Clothes
Have separate clothes for hanging out and going to the office. It seems to be unprofessional if you wear clothes with holes and stains in the workplace. Wear the cleanest and most presentable outfit when going to work for this will surely help you look your best. However, you need to still comply with the dress code set by your company.
Invest on Iron and Dry Cleaner
There are some clothes that require pressing or special care by a reliable dry cleaner. Pants and other clothing look better when they are professionally pressed.
If you wanted to establish a credible and respectful image, you need to dress conservatively in the office. In the case of women, they are advised to avoid using clothes that are revealing. Clothes must be in proper fit and length to ensure confidence and comfort upon wearing.
These are just few of the many ways on how you can achieve ideal professional appearance and grooming for the workplace. Individuals also have to note that personal hygiene must be practiced in the workplace and not just at home. Professional appearance can further be enhanced by reporting to work early, wearing the best smile often and displaying positive attitude.
Crystal Lombardo has been a staff writer for Future of Working for five years. She is a proud veteran and mother. If you have any questions about the content of this blog post, then please send our editor-in-chief a message here.